Dr. Hassan Amini
Dr. Hassan Amini
Dr. Hassan Amini
Assistant Professor in the History and Philosophy of Mathematics
University of Tehran
Birth: 1981, Tehran
Address: Institute for the History of Science, Tehran University, 23, Behnam St., Qods St., Enghelab St., Tehran, Iran.
P.O. Box: 13148-1836
Tel: +98 21 88993016; Fax: +98 21 88993018; Mobile: +9127839619
- Assistant Professor in the History and Philosophy of Mathematics, Institute for the History of Science, University of Tehran, since 2015.
- Visiting Scholar in le laboratoire SPHERE, UMR 7219, CNRS, Université Paris 1, under the supervision of Pascal Crozet, July 2012 - January 2013.
- Ph.D. in History and Philosophy of Science, Iranian Institute of Philosophy, Dissertation: "The Status of the Spherical Trigonometry in the History of Geometry", Supervisor: Dr. Hossein Masoumi Hamedani, 2014.
- M.A. in History of Science, Tehran University, History of Astronomy in Islamic Period, Thesis: "Al-Risāla al-Muʽīnīyya of Khwādja Naṣīr al-Dīn al-Ṭūsī: A Critical Edition and Study", Supervisor: Dr. Iraj Nikseresht, 2008.
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Sharif University of technology, Thesis: Designing an operation unit for producing Glycerin, 2004.
- Amini, Hassan and Hossein Masoumi Hamedani. "History and Philosophy of Science, in the honor of Professor Roshdi Rashed". Tehran: Hermes Publishers, 2018.
- Amini, Hassan. "History and Philosophy of Mathematics: A Book Review." Critical Studies in Texts & Programs of Human Sciences 18, no. 53 (2018): 137-157.
- Amini, Hassan, and Aboozar Farzpoor Machiyani. "Harmonic Proportion: The Edition of Risāla Taʿlīfīyyah by Abu Isḥāq Kūbanānī." History of Science 13, no. 18 (2018): 1-30.
- "handasah" (Geometry), in Encyclopedia of Iran, 2015.
- Amini, Hassan. "Spherical Interpretation of Plane Geometry in Menelaus of Alexandria's Sphaerica." History of Science 11, no. 1 (2013): 31-46.
- "The Philosophy of Sciences", in Monthly Journal of philosophy, vol. 5, 2012.
- "jawzahar" (Node), in The Encyclopedia Islamica, vol. 18, 2010.
- "jawāhir nāmah" (Books of Ornaments), in The Encyclopedia Islamica, vol. 18, 2010.
Translations in Persian
- Rashed, Roshdi, "Problems of the transmission of Greek Scientific Thought into Arabic: Examples from mathema-tics and optics", History of Science, vol. 27, no. 76, 1989, pp. 199-209, published in Miras elmi, 2015.
- Ragep's introduction on Nasir al-Din al-Tusi's Memoir on Astronomy (al-Tadhkira fi `ilm al-hay'a) [Edition, Translation, Commentary and Introduction by F. J. Ragep, 2 vols, Sources in the History of Mathematics and Physical Sciences, New York: Springer-Verlag, 1993], Miras Maktub, 2015.
- Hogendijk, J. P., "L'étude des sections coniques dans la tradition Arabe", Actes du 3ème colloque Maghrébin sur les Mathématiques Arabes, Tipaza. Alger: École Normale Supérieure, 1998, pp. 147-158, in: Journal for Scientific Heritage of Iran and Islam, vol. 3, published in Miras elmi, 2013.
- "Absence of Misunderstanding in the Confrontation between two Methods in Historiography of Science." The Historiography of Science: Theory and Method, Tehran, 2018.
- "Majmūʿat al-Ṣanāyiʿ: a Treatise on 160 Arts." History of Natural Sciences in Islamic and Iranian Civilization, Tehran, 2017.
- "Khayyam contribution to studies on parallel postulate." The 2nd National seminar in honor of Khayyam, Neyshabur, 2017.
- "The mathematical compass between East and West." XXXV Scientific Instrument Symposium: Instruments between East and West, Istanbul, 2016.
- "History of Mathematics and Mathematics Education." World Science Day, Tehran, 2016.
- "Socratic Seminar and Science Education." World Science Day, Tehran, 2015.
- Geometry and Intuition", Iranian Institute of Philosophy, May 2012.
- "The Spherical Trigonometry: A Geometry for Heavens", Iranian Institute of Philosophy, July 2011
- "Gedankenexperiments in History of Islamic Science ", Iranian Institute of Philosophy, January 2010
- "Khayyam and the History of Mathematics", Tehran University, May 2010
- "Natural Principles of `ilm al-hay'a", International Conference of Islamic Philosophy and Challenges of the Contemporary World, Tehran, 10 – 13 November 2009.
- Executive director of Seminar "The History of Mathematics in Honor of Professor Roshdi Rashed", University of Tehran, Tehran, 2018.
- Executive director of Seminar "The Historiography of Science: Theory and Practice", University of Tehran, Tehran, 2018.
- Member of Scientific Committee in Philosophy and History of Science seminar, March 2014, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran.
- Master Courses: The History of Mathematics, The Philosophy of Science, Topics on Islamic Philosophy, Reading texts of History of Science in other languages (English and French) at University of Tehran and Tarbiat Modares University.
- PhD Courses: The History of Science, at Iranian Institute of Philosophy and Institute for Humanities and cultural Studies.
Skills and Qualification
- Native language: Persian
- Proficient in French and English
- Skilled in comprehension of Persian and Arabic Scientific manuscripts of Islamic Civilization
- The History of Science in Ancient Greece and Middle Ages: concentrated on History of Mathematics in Islamic Civilization
- The Philosophy of Mathematics: in Greek Philosophy and Modern Debates
- Persian literature: Ancient Texts and Modern Poets.
- - Dr. Hossein Masoumi Hamedani, Professor of History of Science, Institute of History of Science, Tehran University, 23, Behnam Street, Qods Street, Enghelab Street, Tehran, Iran. P.O. Box: 13148-1836, Tel: +98 21 88993016, Email: email@example.com
- - Dr. Shapour Etemad, Professor of Philosophy of Sciences, Department of Sciences, Iranian Institute of Philosophy, Address: Araklyan Street, Neauphle-le-Château Street, Vali-Asr Avenue, Postal Code: 1136-14816, Tel: + 98 21 66405445, firstname.lastname@example.org